Volunteering Abroad

I admit, at first, I was skeptical to volunteer abroad. First, I didn’t see the main purpose of volunteering. I’m a student and my studies' fees are very high. So, at the time I preferred to spend my summer working in a dead-end job and making money instead of working for free and still be in-dept. But I changed my mind when my friend volunteered in Mexico. He explained to me all the advantages and the disadvantages about volunteering abroad. The main disadvantage is the cultural choc. It’s the disorientation felt by a person faced with an unfamiliar country, language, or culture. The main advantage is the possibility of learning a new language. Knowing several languages are an invaluable gift. This knowledge can lead someone to receive premium wages in his country because it’s a quality that employers often look for and which is rare. So, with all that information I really look forward to volunteering abroad next summer, and I think I’m going to volunteer in South Africa. What about you, where would you go if you could volunteer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Political glossary

Introduction

Screencast